Printers are one of the most unloved tech tools around. Paper jams, low toner errors, and simply connecting to a printer are headaches we’ve all faced at one time or another.
So, how can we make printing fun again?
3D printing is already changing the way that we produce objects, from clothing and appliances, to tools and toys. Almost anything can be printed with these new gadgets. This is why getting a 3D printer for home or school could be the coolest thing for kids to experiment with. Kids can develop skills such as moulding, sculpting, and creating a blueprint, which requires planning and creativity.
By connecting to mobiles and tablets, kids can download STL files and easily print out objects to play with, share with friends, or even sell online.
3D printers for kids encourage creativity and imagination, as well as giving them an opportunity to produce their very own 3D printed toys. With lots of new 3D printers on the market, there is something for every budget and skill level.
This article was originally published in 2016 and was last updated January 2018.
1. FlashForge 3D Printer
2. FlashForge Inventor II
3. New Matter MOD-t 3D Printer
4. XYZprinting da Vinci Jr. 1.0
5. Micro 3D Printer
6. XYZprinting da Vinci Jr. 1.0 3-in-1
7. XYZprinting da Vinci miniMakerda Vinci miniMaker is a safe printer that uses non-heated PLA filament to create projects. It’s lightweight at just 18lbs in weight, making it easy to transport and share with other kids. With over 5000+ 3D models available to download, including everything from toys to educational items, there is something for every kid looking to create and innovate using 3D printing. The printer comes with access to an online course made for STEM learning; kids and teachers can make learning fun by bringing 3D printing into the classroom.
8. ToyBox 3D Printer
While we were waiting for the ThingMaker to arrive the ToyBox printer has taken it’s place. Designed for kids, this little 3D printer is named appropriately. Simply pick a toy from the app and start printing! The toys that can be printed are already designed and sized, and developers have optimized each item for detail and speed when printing. The printer uses non toxic, biodegradable PLA material and kids can choose from over 500 toys to get started. Available for pre-order through their crowdfunding page.
9. UP mini 2 3D PrinterUP mini 2 is the way to go. The 3D printer is easy to carry and lightweight, and unlike some of the other 3D printers, has an LCD touch screen control. Bonus parts include a tool box and a spool holder. With wireless capabilities and a sleek design, this is a great addition to any kids home.
10. Robo C2 Compact Smart 3D PrinterRobo C2 is a stylish modern 3D printer that looks great in any home or classroom. A large LCD screen makes it easy to control and configure, and a fast print speed lets kids create 3D printing projects quickly. The printer connects wirelessly to your phone, and with access to the Robo app, kids can access a library with thousands of 3D models.
Last update on 2018-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API