Since 1934, Lego has been a staple in every kids playroom. From wooden toys, to plastic blocks, Lego has now embraced the tech generation with their Lego Technic sets.
Kids can build, animate, and play popular vehicles and equipment, as well as learning important design and engineering basics. Created with learning in mind, they feature movable and working parts. Some kits will include a motor to power up the vehicle, while other smaller sets don’t include a motor, but are compatible with a powered motor add on kit.
The more complex builds are geared towards older kids, while the easier basic models are a good start for younger builders. Here are the 12 best Lego Technic sets that are sure to get kids more interested in how moving parts work.
Best Lego Technic Sets
1. Mercedes-Benz ArocsLego Mercedes-Benz Arocs kit lets you build a motorized utility vehicle from the ground up. Challenging Lego Technic sets like this, are loaded with motorized functions and packed full of features. This model also breaks down and rebuilds into a construction truck for even more fun.
2. Bucket Wheel ExcavatorBucket Wheel Excavator is one the best lego technic sets for more advanced builders. Featuring a variety of motorized functions, the excavator can be rebuilt into a Mobile Aggregate Processing Plant. This cool set will be challenge for anyone!
3. Getaway RacerLego Technic Getaway Racer. This hot rod design features pull back technology to get it running. Simply pull the car backwards to wind the wheel mechanism, let go and watch it race away. This fun build gives you a chance to have some hands on fun with creating a more complex design that has movement capabilities. With huge vertical exhaust pipes, extra wide rims, low profile tires, and a heavy duty front bumper, kids will have hours of fun building and playing with this lego set.
4. Heavy Lift HelicopterHeavy Lift Helicopter. Build the standard helicopter with motorized propeller and opening cargo door. Then take it apart and build the dual rotor version with sliding cargo door and motorized cargo winch. The bright orange, white and gray color scheme are eye catching, and make this rescue helicopter easy to be spotted. This set includes a motor and a battery to make all the working parts move.
5. Arctic TruckArctic Truck. These exciting two-in-one Lego Technic sets allows you to build an Arctic creeper truck and then take it apart to rebuild the tracked pickup truck. The finished build features an independent suspension mechanism, a work crane arm with a winch, hook up, cargo, four large crawler tracks and working front steering. You can upgrade to the Power functions set to motorize the headlights, crane and tipping cargo bed.
6. Drag RacerDrag Racer model from Lego Technic. The drag racer car features a stunning blue and black design with flame stickers added. This kit has a detailed V8 engine with moving pistons, working steering, large rear tires, a huge rear spoiler and large exhaust pipes. You can raise up the body shell to see detailed exhaust pipes and working transmission. This two in one design allows you to build a second drag race car that has a needle body.
7. Fire PlaneFire Plane. One of the most coolest Lego Technic sets, it features a sharp looking red and white airplane. The working parts include a spinning propeller, moving pistons, joystick controlled elevators and it has water pieces to drop as it flies by. When you are done with the plane, take it apart and rebuild the Jet Engine Fire Plane version. The fun is endless with this kit.
8. Twin-Rotor HelicopterTwin-Rotor Helicopter. This kit features a dual rotor spinning helicopter that can be rebuilt into a single rotor version as well. The helicopter has linked spinning rotors that can be manually spun, a turning front wheel, opening cargo door and a rescue theme design and color. The dual rotors are connected by gear wheels so that they spin together to avoid overlapping.
9. Crawler CraneCrawler Crane is a mega set from Lego Technics. This crane features a motorized body that has a working winch that can lift small objects. It also has an opening claw, a tilting cab, an extendable boom, extensive cabling and a realistic exhaust pip and ventilation grid. The two in one model rebuilds into a mobile tower crane. This steel blue crane is a must have for all Lego Technic fans who enjoy a challenge.
10. Stunt TruckLego Technic Stunt Truck set is a colorful heavy duty racer. This truck features a powerful pull back motor, a sturdy front bumper for crashes and bumps, wide blue rims and low profile tires. The special Technic 40th anniversary brick is included in this model, making it a must have for collectors. This truck also comes with a stunt ramp for seeing how much air you can get.
11. Police InterceptorPolice Interceptor from Lego Technics. This SUV styled police vehicle features a powerful motor, extra-extra large and wide rims, red and blue police warning beacons, and a heavy duty bull bar. The cruiser has an eye catching green, white and black color scheme to let the bad guys know it’s coming. Pair this set with the Getaway Racer to let the high speed chase begin, or to create a hybrid Police Racer.
12. BMW R 1200 GS AdventureBMW R 1200 GS Adventure. The bike features black spoke wheels, all terrain tires, windshield, detailed dashboard, exhaust, working steering, stabilizing tele-lever front suspension and read suspension. This two in one model rebuilds into a futuristic concept model hover bike that was created with BMW designers.
You might also like:
- 25 Best Robotics & Robot Kits for Kids
- 15 Best Electronic Kits for Kids: Learn all about Circuits
- 10 Best Minecraft Lego Sets
- 10 Best Lego Sets for Girls
Last update on 2017-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API