3D pens for kids are so much fun, just ask anyone. These ordinary looking pens help you achieve the extraordinary.
Not just for kids – teens, moms, dads and artists are all falling in love with them. To help you out, here is a run down of the best 3D pens on the market.
The size of 3D pens are part of what makes them so attractive, you don’t need a ton of space somewhere for storage like a 3D printer, all you need is just a bit of space on the shelf. 3D printing pens foster creativity and are a lot of fun as objects that are drawn on paper have the ability to come alive into real life.
See also: Best 3D Printers for Kids
For those who are new to this, these pens allow you to draw things exactly as you imagine them using heated plastic filaments inserted in the pens. Think of it like using an icing bag with a very fine nozzle, except the icing is actually plastic and holds its shape when exposed to the air. Colored plastic strips are heated up in the 3D printing pen, and then cool down to make an object.
Some of the nozzles in a 3D pen can get quite hot, but there are a few pens that feature low temperatures or use special material. These types of 3D pens for kids are more suitable for younger ones.
This guide should help you find the best 3D pens in 2017.
This article was originally published in 2016 and was last updated November 2017.
Best 3D Pens for Kids
1. 3Doodler Start3Doodler Start pen. This multi-award winning wireless 3D pen for kids is safe, with no hot parts, and non-toxic BPA free refills. Kids can use their hands to mould the plastic when it comes out of the pen, and it comes with a project book to give you ideas about creating stencils and objects. The pen is also available in discounted bundles for classrooms and learning spaces. For more inspiration, the 3Doodler Project Book has 26 step by step projects to follow.
2. SoyanSoyan’s 3D pen for kids is a lightweight, easy-to-hold entry that’s geared to help children improve their spatial thinking and tactile awareness. Soyan’s material comes at 3D printing from an educational standpoint, helping to empower kids to learn through creativity. Simplifying the prototyping process, kids breeze through the basics and get right to the job of lifting their dreams right off the page.
3. Dikale Kids 3D PenDikale kids 3D pen has some great features for little artists. After 10 minutes of being left idle, it will automatically shut itself off. It has an OLED display for speed and temperature control and one button for feeding though the PLA filament. The cat makes it look like a fun gift for kids and even the stand has little feet.
4. Mynt3D Professional 3D Printing PenMynt3D has replaceable nozzles, an LED display, speed control and temperature control. The slim design is perfect for professionals or more advanced users.
5. Dewang 3D PenDewang 3D pen has a slim stylish design that uses PCL filament suitable for heating at low temperatures. ABS filament is also an option. The nozzle doesn’t get very hot, so it’s a nice choice for kids and teens who want a little bit more precision into their 3D drawings. Very well rated, it’s a good 3D pen suitable for a variety of ages.
6. QPAU Intelligent 3D Printing PenQPAU is another one of best 3D pens for kids that has anti-scald protection. There is an OLED display to help you monitor the temperature that ranges from 130 C to 210 C. This helps you get the effect you’re looking for by being able to raise and lower the heat applied. The 3D pen uses PLA and ABS filament, which are easily replaceable and it’s certainly a cool slick looking pen.
7. Polyes Q1 3D Printing Pen, by Future MakePolyes Q1 pen uses cool photo-polymer resin that protects against any unwanted burns, and there are no hot parts or smelly odors. Funded by Kickstarter, Polyes Q1 is one of the most safest and child friendly 3D pens for kids. Available in three bright colors, packages of multi-colored inks to brighten up your creations can also be purchased.
8. 3Doodler Create3Doodler Create. This 3D pen is geared towards teenagers and older hobbyists. It has a sleek lightweight aluminium body and higher temperatures allowing for more detailed creative work. With one of the best accessory ranges on the market including different nozzle sizes, portable power packs, pedals, stands, and over 75 colored plastics, this is one of the best 3D pens for kids around.
9. XYZprinting’s da Vinci 3D Penda Vinci 3D pen comes with an education package that includes instruction manuals, videos, and templates to share with your classroom. With 11 non-toxic and biodegradable filament colors to choose from, this 3D pen for kids can be easily popped in a backpack for making fun creations anywhere.
10. CreopopCreopop is a great option for a safe and hassle free 3D pen. Creopop’s 3D pens for kids have no hot parts or fussy wires making them perfect for little artists. Using photopolymers that go solid as kids use the pen, you don’t need to worry about melted plastic or unpleasant smells. The pens are fully wireless when being used, and there is a range of colourful, glittery, and glow in the dark inks to unleash kid’s creativity.
11. ScribblerScribber 3D Pen. The ergonomically designed pen is comfortable to hold, and comes with stencils for towers, flowers, butterflies, and more. Also available is a ceramic nozzle which is safer to the commonly used copper nozzles, and an automatic shut off. The pen uses an OLED-display where you can control temperature and feed settings.
12. Sketchpro 3D PenSketchpro 3D pen. A large LED screen lets them change temperature and feed settings on the fly, and a quick clean function helps with any unwanted clogs. This pen has a quick heat up time, and a lightweight design (50g) gets kids working on their 3D project without having sore or achy hands. A free ebook with over 100 stencils is included with each pen.
13. Polaroid PLAY 3D Pen
3D pens can be a way of encouraging children to think about engineering, and how objects are put together. The Polaroid PLAY 3D pen comes with a Trace App which helps kids stencil and construct parts of an object which can then be assembled into real life 3D model. This pen uses environmentally friendly plastic filaments which can get hot to the touch, so it is more suitable for older kids.
14. IDO3D PenIDO3D pen uses cool plastics to make sure hands stay safe, and ink can be cleaned with no fuss using baby wipes. Vertical creations can be made effortlessly with an LED light, and their website has courses to help kids master their 3D pen abilities and make innovative projects. The pen is soft and squeezable making it easy to hold for smaller hands.
15. AtmosFlare 3D Drawing PenAtmosFlare 3D pen is particularly suitable for kids as it uses a LED light and ink to easily draw objects rather than hot plastic. With courses available on their website to help kids create their projects, both drawing in the air and making solid sheets of material are simple. Ink refills are available in 12 colors, and because it is battery powered, there are no annoying cables to get in your way.
16. 3D Simo Mini
What if you’re not just an aspiring 3D modeller? What if your interests extend to woodcraft, polystyrene modelling or subtle metalwork? If so, then the 3D Simo Mini has it all for you. What does it bring to the table? Pure versatility! In addition to the expected 3D printing, the Simo Mini includes functions for wood burning, soldering and foam carving.
17. 3Doodler Pro
For those graduating to a more advanced level, 3Doodler offers their Pro 3D pen. With a built-in battery pack and adjustable settings, the pen can be adjusted for specialized projects requiring a particular level of craftsmanship. Advanced filaments include material made with metal (bronze, copper) and genuine wood fibre. In addition to modelling and prototyping, 3Doodler Pro can be used around the house for repairs and finishing.
Last update on 2017-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API