Last Updated: April 30, 2016
- Posted in Daily App Deals
Today’s best free book apps & discounts include; Supermoon Comic, The Wizard of Oz Interactive Children’s Book, Iggy, the pig who was scared of getting dirty, Hildegard Sings & Bedtime Defenders Interactive Storybook HD.
SUPERMOON Comic is a journalistic graphic novel made for iPad.
Supermoon tells another story about climate change and rising water levels. Copenhagen was flooded by water on the 2. July 2011. The biggest rainfall ever registered. Was it by coincidence that it happened at a time of new moon perigee? The images of the flooded city strongly resembled the images of the tsunami following the horrific 2011 earthquake off the Pacific coast of Japan. This earthquake happened at the exact time of the Supermoon. I decided to investigate more into articles and research regarding the moon and its tidal forces and began my journey – I wanted to find out more of this phenomenon and its relation to climate change and politics.
The Supermoon Comic app contains a 51 page story based on interviews with among others: Astrologer Richard Nolle, ass. Professor Peter Ditlevsen and Professor Ole Humlum. The drawings and story have been 2 years in the making and contains in-app footnotes, facts and URLs all exploring the mystery of the climate change.
The Supermoon Comic app is created by Danish visual artist Kristoffer Akselbo and published and produced by Haandholdt – a platform for art on handheld devices.
“I hope that Supermoon will be a new and fun way to read and discuss climate change and open up a new awareness and analytical power – an awareness of actions that will benefit families, friends and the society we have chosen to live and participate in. Have a good read.” - Kristoffer Akselbo
The Wizard of Oz Interactive C...
- TOP 100 STUNNING iPAD APP - Apps Magazine
- 4.5 / 5 Stars - "...it makes me feel like I’m reading a magical book from a library that existed long ago." - AppAdvice.com
- "...The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, in an inviting, and more importantly, enjoyable, way." - RazorianFly.com
- 4.5 / 5 Stars - "...this book comes alive and makes it an intriguing read for both kids and adults alike." - TouchReviews.net
- Experience the story of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz like never before!
- OZ is a remarkable re-working of the original book by L. Frank Baum.
- Carefully abridged to stay true to the original text, with 112 beautiful pages.
- Featuring the original illustrations of W.W. Denslow, digitally remastered and brought to life with stunning effect.
- Children and adults alike can immerse themselves in the adventures of Dorothy and her friends.
- The clever use of the physics engine combined with the tilt and touch features of the iPad let you take part in the story.
- With over 25 interactive and dynamic pages, including:
- Free the Scarecrow (ragdoll) from his pole
- Oil the Tin Woodman to free his limbs
- See the Lion quiver as Dorothy tells him off
- Stop the Kalidah's in their tracks
- Watch as the Wicked Witch of the West melts away
- Put the Tin Woodman back together
- Reveal the true identity of the Wizard of Oz
- Give the Tin Woodman his heart
- Give the Lion his courage
- Give the Scarecrow his brains
- Interact and play sounds with the HammerHeads
- Send Dorothy home to Kansas
and much more...
Iggy, the pig who was scared o...
*** Top 5 of the commercial apps (March 2011), winner of the "Best E-Book” award (May 2011), choice of the week on App Store (September 2011), a must-have on iPad ***
"Each story is beautifully illustrated and slightly animated." (iPhone Soft)
Following on from “Jasper, a wolf cub who was scared of wolves” and “Billy, the bird who was scared of heights ”, here’s another must-have for your iPad!
There was once a little pig who was scared of getting dirty! YUCK! This third book in the “I’m not scared Collection” will help your children grow! An original story specially adapted to the iPad, for children aged 3 to 7. The voice of Matthew Geczy, with specially composed music, will guide your children through the story, stimulating their imagination and appetite for reading.
GoodBye Paper publishes e-books that feed the imagination.
•14 pages that are beautifully illustrated (by Arnaud Bouron, director of the "le Petit Nicolas" series on M6) and cleverly animated, on 2/3 of the screen.
•You can cut out the voice and/or the music so that you can tell the story the way you want to. Older children will also be able to read the story themselves.
•Puzzles: 15 puzzles to play with based on the illustrations in the story, with 2 levels of difficulty (9 or 16 piece puzzles).
•Memory game: 2 levels of difficulty (8 or 16 cards).
•Mix and Match game: Let your child tell the story by putting it back in the right order!
Equipment: iPad1, iPad2, iPad Retina
Operating system: iOS 4 and above
Find other e-books published by GoodBye Paper:
I’M NOT SCARED – THE COLLECTION
Jasper, a wolf cub who was scared of wolves
Billy, the bird who was scared of heights
Iggy, the pig who was scared of getting dirty
Mimi, the owl who was scared of the dark .
SANTA'S APPRENTICE – THE COLLECTION
Santa’s Apprentice - The Boss
Santa’s Apprentice - The Big Test
Santa’s Apprentice - The First Toy.
Updated for iOS 9
** Apple New & Noteworthy **
** Editor's Choice Award ** - Warren Buckleitner, Children's Technology Review
"The app is visually stunning." - PadGadget
"...the combination of story, illustrations and quirky interactions creates a completely winning app!" - The iPhone Mom
"a charming app...the watercolour illustrations are full of life and Hildegard is an endearing character..." - Miranda West, The Literary Platform
Enter the world of Hildegard Rhineheffer, a lovable hippo who dreams of being an opera star. She suddenly has her big break when Frau Hoopenholler the lead in the opera is ill. Hildegard is flabbergasted by her stroke of luck – there is so much to do to prepare! But then, just as suddenly as the opportunity arises, she loses her voice. What is an aspiring star to do?
Help Hildegard overcome her stage fright and become the diva she deserves to be. You can feed her a feast, help her try on silly hats, or pop the bubbles in her bath.
Illustrated in watercolor, with twenty-eight interactive, surprise-packed pages, this is an unforgettable story of a singer on the brink of stardom. The extras include Hildegard’s Famous Roles – hilarious spoofs of Madame Butterfly, Hansel and Gretel and other opera classics. There is also a matching game of details from the illustrations.
Previous titles from One Hundred Robots have been listed in NYTimes.com Gadgetwise, iPhone4kids, and The Literary Platform as among the best children's book apps.
**Requires iOS 4.0 or later.**
FEATURES OF HILDEGARD SINGS:
• 28 interactive pages
• Professionally narrated by Tracie Higgins and Craig Schumacher
• High quality sound effects and music throughout
• Extras include Hildegard's Famous Roles – spoofs on famous operas - and a matching game
• Read to me or read to myself options
• Story and humorous watercolor illustrations by Thomas Wharton with additional writing by Bobby Young
• Additional extras to come include an opera glossary
• Navigation map
Hildegard Sings is available for iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad at the iTunes App Store
Target audience: Age 3 and up.
**Limited time introductory price: iPad $1.99/iPhone $0.99**
ABOUT ONE HUNDRED ROBOTS:
One Hundred Robots was born out of our passion for the ways that devices such as iPad can share incredible stories and give families more quality time together.
We are a group of 20 creative professionals who have worked together for the better part of the past 20 years. Based on Spring Street in New York City, our expertise lies in creating stories and refining them so that they are easily accessible, rich in content, and full of educational value. We do this with words, images, and interactive design.
The mission of One Hundred Robots is to create fun storytelling experiences that inspire children to use their imagination.
Bedtime Defenders Interactive ...
**FREE for a limited time** A beautiful interactive storybook about a child who enlists his toys to fight his fear of the dark.
In the darkness, something stirs beneath Simon's bed. Who will protect him but the Bedtime Defenders, a motley crew of unlikely heroes called from the ranks of Simon's favorite toys. With their help, Simon summons the strength to conquer whatever may be lurking in the shadows.
Bedtime Defenders is a charming animated picture book that you and your child will want to read again and again.
- Beautiful retina ready HD illustrations
- Makes reading fun and rewarding
- Interactive text
- Interactive pages and illustrations
- Super heroes
- Monster trucks and interactive car crushing
- Swipe-able pages
- No distracting sound effects or audio--meant to be read with your preschool child
- No in-app purchase
- No third party advertising
Brytag Creative was founded with the goal of creating Apps and software that inspire and promote creative thinking while being entertaining at the same time.
Apps are on sale for a limited time only and subject to price change by developers. Prices were last verified at the time of publishing this post, so always check the App Store for final confirmation before downloading.
Samantha Kotey is the editor for AvatarGeneration and has a background in educational technology and virtual worlds. A mom of two, she is passionate about all things related to toys and technology.