MindConnex Learning, an award winning global provider of digital learning solutions, has launched the first six titles in their brand new product series of interactive phonics-based readers for Kindergarten and Grade 1 students.
The Word Monsters uses phonics, interactive animation, activities, and additional optional instruction in a quirky narrative environment to give children a rich and engaging introduction to reading. Each “book” is developed in accordance with modern literacy pedagogical standards while still remaining appealing to today’s children.
Aligned to Common Core State Standards – every screen in The Word Monsters features optional supplementary instruction around phonemic awareness, print concepts, reading comprehension, vocabulary and sight words. Every book also includes three activities that address each of the main strands of the Common Core Standards: Literature, Foundational Skills, and Language.
Key features include:
- Engaging story and high quality visuals featuring 5 quirky monster characters, each with their own special ability
- Synchronized voiceover and text highlighting
- Ability to decode or ‘sound out’ individual words by touching them
- Interactive screen elements with additional vocabulary
- Character speech and accompanying speech bubbles for richer reading
- Phonics, vocabulary and comprehension instruction (correlated to the US Common Core Standards) on every screen via an animated ‟Reading Buddy”
- Three fun activities at the end of every book which focus on phonics, high-frequency words, vocabulary, and reading comprehension, (correlated to the US Common Core State Standards).
“Most introductory reading programs focus purely on covering the requisite decodable words with little attention given to themes or characters that truly engage children at this age-level,” says MindConnex CEO, Michael Cordner . “At MindConnex, we believe that stimulating interest in young readers is vital to ensure they develop competency in reading. Our aim with The Word Monsters is to create a series of decodable readers that not only helps young children learn to read, but engages and delights them, while kindling a lifelong love of reading.”
The Word Monsters series is designed for use at home or in a school setting. The first six books of the Kindergarten series are now available in the Apple App Store and the first book is free!