Children Make Tremendous Improvement In Literacy & Numeracy On Skoolbo

0

Skoolbo the educational game for kids, has just completed an improvement analysis on the 10 million literacy and numeracy questions answered by players. They found that after three hours of learning time, there were average improvements of 23.3% in literacy and 12.2% in numeracy. See the breakdown below:

Literacy Concept

Accuracy

Avg Improvement
After 10 Games

Nouns, Verbs and Adjectives (Grammar)

76.9%

5.22%

Alphabetical Order (Alphabet)

78.5%

30.28%

Verb Tenses 1 (Grammar)

82.1%

9.72%

Verb Tenses 2 (Grammar)

83.3%

14.89%

Sound Introduction 3 (Phonics)

85.3%

49.68%

Listening 1 (Early Comprehension)

85.4%

24.06%

Sound Introduction 1 (Phonics)

85.4%

31.58%

Spelling 3 (Spelling)

85.7%

11.36%

Sentence Construction 2 (Grammar)

85.8%

1.52%

Spelling 5 (Spelling)

86.3%

1.78%

It was to be expected that Grammar concepts feature highly on literacy areas that children find complex. The most surprising aspect  was the difficulty that children have with Alphabetical Order – their accuracy rate is considerably lower than that of Spelling. Pleasingly they saw a rapid improvement rate (30.28%) on Alphabetical Order.

Numeracy Concept

Accuracy

Avg Improvement
After 10 Games

Addition to 10 – Missing (Number)

76.0%

6.62%

Addition to 20 – Missing (Number)

77.0%

16.37%

Addition to 6 – Missing (Number)

77.1%

20.42%

Time – Analogue 4 (Time)

78.2%

21.66%

Number Pattern – Decreasing 2 (Pattern)

78.4%

54.60%

Number Pattern – Increasing 2 (Pattern)

78.4%

16.89%

Time – Analogue 5 (Time)

79.0%

0.79%

Subtraction from 6 – Missing (Number)

79.3%

1.78%

Counting to 10 (Number)

79.4%

12.60%

Two Digit + One Digit With Carry

80.9%

14.32%

It’s clear from the data that children have more difficulty with slightly abstract versions of the original concept. This is particularly highlighted when comparing “Addition to 10 – Missing” as opposed to straight “Addition to 10”.

Example Question

Accuracy

Addition to 10 – Missing

4  +  ___  =  9

76.0%

Addition to 10

4 + 5 =

87.6%

They also found that children have considerable difficulty telling the time on an analogue clock (accuracy = 78.2%), whereas they find using a digital clock almost trivial (accuracy = 96.2%).

Skoolbo Curriculum Selection Algorithm

The Skoolbo Curriculum Selection Algorithm is designed to give every child the optimal curriculum regardless of his or her actual age. It starts by pretesting the child in both literacy and numeracy and then continues to reassess after each game. An optimal blend of new content; not yet mastered content; and revision content is served to each child. Literacy and numeracy content decisions are made separately and it’s common for us to see children with skills significantly advanced in one over the other. They are also seeing a wide range of ability across most classes. For example most 2nd grade classes tend to have around 70% of children operating at a typical 2nd grade level, while the remaining 30% are spread across from a kindergarten through to 5th grade level of ability. Many teachers have indicated that this in built differentiation is one of the strongest features of Skoolbo.

Shane Hill, Skoolbo Founder and CEO, said: “Our whole reason for being is about lifting educational outcomes – it’s at the heart of everything we do. To see such conclusive evidence of highly significant improvement across a full range of students from different parts of the world is extremely gratifying.”

Skoolbo continues to grow fast with a 49% increase in users over the last four weeks. If you like learning games, check out Skoolbo.

Share.

Leave A Reply