- Posted in Learning Games
Though grammar skills are a fundamental step in understanding, writing and reading the English language, grammar is not always a particularly fun arena to study. Faced with long lists of grammar rules and grammar rule exceptions to memorize, it’s no wonder so many of us throw in the towel on mastering technical English early in school.
And for those of us who did give up on the finer points of grammar in grade school, there is one last hope. Online grammar games are a new and painless way to refresh your grammar skills. Check out the surprisingly addictive grammar games listed below from OnlineClasses.org. Before long you will be a grammatical expert!
1. Grammar Ninja will help anyone drill down the parts of speech. As a beginner ninja in this game you will be asked to define nouns and verbs in a series of sentences. As your expertise grows you can graduate to become a skilled ninja, and eventually a master ninja where you will identify all parts, including adjectives, adverbs, articles and pronouns on a timed test that tracks your errors and awards points.
2. Preposition Desert is an easy way to sharpen your preposition concepts while helping baby kangaroos make it home before the desert rain begins. Players answer questions like this:
- Is the underlined word a preposition or an object of a preposition?
- I read about kangaroos in an encyclopedia.
Clicking the preposition button would earn you a correct answer, and the baby kangaroo one step closer to safety.
3. Players who feed the Verb Viper the correct subject/verb answers will sharpen their grammar rules quickly in this face-paced game. You’ll be tested on correct verb tenses, forms and agreement at different levels and speeds. Track your improvement after each level with your accuracy, speed and rate score summaries.
4. In Short Circuit try to fix a short circuit by linking the prefixes and suffixes to their correct meanings. Matching -arian with “one who” will earn you a fix while -ize and “study of” is the wrong answer (and a short circuit).
5. Trapped tests punctuation rules through a fill-in-the-blank story, and an apple-throwing contest. Players properly place different punctuation throughout the story to help free the children locked in the tower.
6. Correct comma placement in this Rags to Riches game will earn you an increasingly higher lump of fake money as the questions get harder and your skills get more adept. A wrong answer will send you back to $0, but you can also utilize one of your three hints if you get stuck.
7. Rooting out Words challenges readers to match the correct prefixes with the root of the word. After you master the easy level challenge yourself at the super brain status.
8. Master the basics of sentence structure with this Diagramming Sentences game. The game will begin with identifying the proper subject and verb in a sentence and additional sentence parts will be added as the game progresses. By the end, you will be tasked with diagramming a variety of sentences.
9. The BBC has an excellent list of adult grammar games. Help the elderly grandmother, Ms. Anderson get her hair done at the salon in the “Blown Away” through selecting the proper punctuation for a list of sentences.
Another suggestion sent in:
10. FreeRice – For each answer you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice through the world food programme to help end hunger.
11. ChompChomp.com – Lots of grammar games!
A cross post from OnlineClasses.org